I’ve been writing and thinking about what I think the new world of tickets would look like.
And, while change is always slow to come to the industry. If I could wave a magic wand, here are some of the things that I would want a new business model of ticket sales to look like:
- No exclusive contracts with ticket platforms. Competition for services would drive advances in marketing and customer development.
- Smart internet marketing: better use of social media, email, and other online sales techniques. If we see content marketers doing a better job creating offers and moving product, why should tickets suffer.
- More transparency around onsale dates, times, and opportunities.
- Less emphasis on inside sales. Too much of inside sales becomes spam and the ROI on the process is much lower than other forms of marketing and sales.
- Offer more opportunities for value. People buy experiences and the purchase is about value. Let’s think about how to add value at every turn.
- Build a crowd and work to monetize it after you’ve built a crowd. Too much of the sales process now feels like it shuts people out or destroys brand value.
There are more ideas, but this is a starting spot.
What do you think we should do?